Re: [Xen-devel] strange cpu number from xm info

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 09:15 -0400, Zhigang Wang wrote:
> > We can and should. Are you able to send a patch for xl at least?
> >

> Here is another case:
>
>     # xm info
>     nr_cpus                : 48
>     nr_nodes               : 8
>     cores_per_socket       : 12
>     threads_per_core       : 1
>
> This HP BL685 G7 (4 socket x 12 cores).
>
> Actually sockets_per_node = 0.5. Xen calculates it correctly.
>
> Should we should s 0.5 for sockets_per_node? Or just ignore sockets_per_node?

I looked a bit into this and found out there has been some discussion
already on why such a "counter" (sockets_per_node) has been removed and
shouldn't be reintroduced, and those archs yielding fractional numbers
for it seem to be right that cause:

http://old-list-archives.xen.org/xen-changelog/2010-04/msg00074.html
http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-02/msg00005.html

Not sure what TheRightThing is here, just wanted to point these out...

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli