Re: [Xen-devel] Xentop - Domain-0 statistics

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 18:06 -0500, Kaushik Kumar Ram wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Recently, I noticed that xentop stopped showing Domain-0's CPU
> utilization and other stats.
>
> First, is that the intended behavior for some reason? Assuming its
> not, am I the only one observing this issue?
>
> I dug into the source code a bit and traced the problem to the
> xenstat_get_domain_name() function, which essentially finds the name
> of a domain by reading some values from xenstore.  But this function
> fails for Domain-0, and therefore xenstat_get_node() ignore Domain-0's
> stats.
> In particular, "/local/domain/0/vm" does not exist for Domain-0 while
> it does for all other domains.
>
> I am not an expert on what/how values are stored in xenstore. But is
> there a reason why such a convoluted logic is used to determine a
> domain's name? Why not just read the value in
> "/local/domain/domain_id/name"?
>
> I did exactly that and now I can see Domain-0's stats in xentop.
>
> Is this a bug? If so, I can submit a patch.

I think it is a bug. It was discussed before at
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-11/msg00579.html

Looks like IanJ intended to apply the patch
(http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-11/msg01486.html) but
I guess it got dropped. I've CC'd him now