Re: [Xen-devel] Failure to start X windows in Dom0 under Xen 4.1.2

On 20.12.2011 15:26, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 09:25:21AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 06:44:03AM +0100, Jan Vejvalka wrote:

In the meantime, I found a post that helped at least partially:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901234-start-0.html .

I added the nopat option to grub, and things got a bit better.
I moved one step further, now facing a somewhat different problem:

- on my 3.1.1 kernel without Xen, things work fine

Can you provide the dmesg of that please.

I am curious to see why you have:

[    2.967316] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.

Can you also boot the baremetal (so without Xen) and with Xen
with: "drm.debug=255" and remove the "nomodeset" option on the Linux
command line?
Uou are also missing the "debug loglevel=8" options. I need those to
get a better idea of why the radeon driver is not initializing properly.

See http://camelot.lf2.cuni.cz/vejvalka/temp/kon2 . Missing firmware.
Just distorted graphics came up on the console after boot in both cases.

Found the R600_rlc.bin at
http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode (as linked from
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo ) ... and things started
working, also the X windows start under Xen at the first attempt,
even without the nopat kernel option.

See logs at http://camelot.lf2.cuni.cz/vejvalka/temp/kon3 .

Thanks !

Jan

- on the same kernel with Xen, the first (and sometimes even some
     further) attempts to run startx fail
- after a couple of tries, startx finally succeeds if the kernel
     is loaded with the nopat parameter
- without the nopat parameter, it seems it does not work: in the best
     attempts, the screen enters the graphic mode for a short while
     before the final crash.

The info you asked for is at
http://camelot.lf2.cuni.cz/vejvalka/temp/kon .