Re: [Xen-devel] a ton of kernel issues

On 14.12.2011 11:47, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
Well... For us it make HUGE difference. We running cloud with very precise
accounting of  fast automaric memory allocation for customer's domains and
we account them for ... em... KiB*hr value, so if we account domains based
on xc.get_domain_memkb value and customers saw difference between TotalMem
and our values this will make them feel like we cheating. We not greedy and
ready to 'cut' our mem_kb value to their TotalMem, but I hasn't found any
formula for that (calculate TotalMem from static-max and dom_kb values) and
I can't trust any data from customer's domains (except request for memory we
accept, serve and happily take money for 'more memory').

It sounds ridiculous, but we avoiding pv_ops kernels usage due that little
~50Mb steal. We stuck with -xen kernels (forward porting from SUSE and
native CentOS 2.6.18-xen). I don't know what we will do in the future, but
right now PV-ops is not good...
Why not just explain what really happened in a noob-friendly language?

For example, when buying a computer with built-in graphic card,
MemTotal is always lower than the ammount of memory actually
installed. Yet a simple explanation "some of the memory is used by the
built-in graphic card" is enough, without having to go into details of
what is the formula to calculate how much memory actualy used.

Well, this is fine if we provide customers normal 'VDS-like' virtual machines. You getting 256MiB, some of it is used by kernel and not displayed as TotalMem. But we provide vm with ellastic memory (like 256MiB - 8GiB) with promise 'we will serve you enough memory to your applications and you will pay only for allocated memory for your VM'. User expects we give him + 2GiB for 2 min and we charge him for 2*2/60=0.066 GiB*hr. With -xen kernels they got exactly they paid (at least, with TotalMem value). If we saying them 'here something you don't understand' this will cause some doubts.