Re: [Xen-devel] a ton of kernel issues

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:05 AM, George Shuklin
<george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well... For us it make HUGE difference. We running cloud with very precise
> accounting of  fast automaric memory allocation for customer's domains and
> we account them for ... em... KiB*hr value, so if we account domains based
> on xc.get_domain_memkb value and customers saw difference between TotalMem
> and our values this will make them feel like we cheating. We not greedy and
> ready to 'cut' our mem_kb value to their TotalMem, but I hasn't found any
> formula for that (calculate TotalMem from static-max and dom_kb values) and
> I can't trust any data from customer's domains (except request for memory we
> accept, serve and happily take money for 'more memory').
>
> It sounds ridiculous, but we avoiding pv_ops kernels usage due that little
> ~50Mb steal. We stuck with -xen kernels (forward porting from SUSE and
> native CentOS 2.6.18-xen). I don't know what we will do in the future, but
> right now PV-ops is not good...

Why not just explain what really happened in a noob-friendly language?

For example, when buying a computer with built-in graphic card,
MemTotal is always lower than the ammount of memory actually
installed. Yet a simple explanation "some of the memory is used by the
built-in graphic card" is enough, without having to go into details of
what is the formula to calculate how much memory actualy used.

--
Fajar