Re: [Xen-devel] pv-grub Solaris support

Hello  Samuel,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 02:38:32AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > The attached patch has been tested with various
> > Solaris versions (Solaris 11 Express, OpenIndiana 151a, OpenSolaris 134,
> > Nexenta Core 3.0.1; all 64-bit). I appreciate your feedback.
>
> Could you also check that Linux configurations also still work?

I can confirm that pv-grub with the Solaris patch still works correctly for
Linux domUs. This was tested with the following distributions: Debian 6.0,
Ubuntu 11.10 Server, Fedora 15, and CentOS 6 (all 64-bit).

For each of these domains I used a whole-disk block device (xvda), and let
the OS installer create a partition structure on it (which is probably not
how you would typically do it with pygrub, but for pv-grub this is more
convenient). I tested both a layout with a single (ext3) partition, and
with a separate /boot partition (ext2 and ext3). I didn't notice any
differences between the unpatched and patched versions of pv-grub when
booting these domains.

Incidentally, I was pleasantly surprised that the installers of all the
mentioned distributions work just fine in a PV domU, with the exception of
Ubuntu 11.10 (for which I had to manually add Xen modules to the initrd).
For the others, I just added the installer iso as device "xvdb", booted into
the grubdom commandline, located the kernel and initrd via tab-completion,
booted these, and was then able to do the installation as normal.

Kasper