Re: [Xen-devel] Several questions from a freshman to Xen

On 2011å10æ14æ 02:42, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:51:01PM +0800, Zhengwang Ruan (Royo) wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am new man with some confusions to this amazing technology, hope
you guys give answers to help me better understand Xen. :)

1, You guys have been working on developing many releases, do you
guys have agreements on developing every source code based on a
fixed linux kernel version before starting a new release? If so, how
No.
could I know the corresponding kernel version to a given xen
release? I tried to find answer for myself on the following wiki
page, but it is not latest enough.
Anything past 3.0 kernel should work. Every Linux kernel release
we fix bugs and add new features.

They are the kernel releases in the git repository

http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git

?

Look in Paravirt Wiki for the roadmap of what we want to
have in 3.2 and 3.3 Linux kernel.

See, really good roadmap!

http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/DistributionSupport

2, I found some interesting source files in xen-4.1.1 release, I
listed them below:

$ ll
drwx------ 4 royo royo 16384 2011-10-12 00:20 arch/
drwx------ 5 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 common/
-rw-r--r-- 1 royo royo 19185 2011-06-15 00:03 COPYING
drwx------ 2 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 crypto/
drwx------ 8 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 drivers/
drwx------ 9 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 include/
-rw-r--r-- 1 royo royo  5529 2011-06-15 00:03 Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 royo royo  3498 2011-06-15 00:03 Rules.mk
drwx------ 3 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 tools/
drwx------ 4 royo royo 16384 2011-06-15 00:03 xsm/

Are these files going to replace or be added to linux kernel source
while making dm0? I am amazed that this release can be installed to
Why would they?

Sorry, I misunderstood xen-4.1.1 as part of dom0, and would be merged into kernel to produce a dom0, but I know I was wrong. :)

Thanks,
Royo