Re: [Xen-devel] Re: mapping problems in xenpaging

2011/10/6 Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx>
At 16:56 +0200 on 03 Oct (1317660976), Olaf Hering wrote:

> > > I'm not entirely sure what you do. xenpaging runs in dom0 and is able to
> > > map paged-out pages. It uses that to trigger a page-in, see
> > > tools/xenpaging/pagein.c in xen-unstable.hg
> >
> > Here's my take...
> >
> > Xenpaging doesn't allow selection of pages that have been mapped by
> > other domains (as in p2m.c):
> >
> >  669 int p2m_mem_paging_nominate(struct domain *d, unsigned long gfn)
> >  693     /* Check page count and type */
> >  694     page = mfn_to_page(mfn);
> >  695     if ( (page->count_info & (PGC_count_mask | PGC_allocated)) !=
> >  696          (1 | PGC_allocated) )
> >  697         goto out;

    I wonder if pages have been mapped by other domains,then the page->count_info will be added.I have analyzed  xc_map_foreign_pages() function,and have not figured out how to add the page->count_info by xc_map_foreign_pages().and the page->count_info decreases in munmap().

> > *However*, I think that the problem Zhen is describing still exists:
> > 1) xenpaging nominates a page, it is successful.
> > 2) dom0 maps the same page (a process other than xenpaging, which will
> > also map it).
> > 3) xenpaging evicts the page, successfully.
> >
> > I've experienced a few nasty crashes, and I think this could account
> > for a couple (but certainly not all)... I think that the solution may
> > be to repeat the refcount check in paging_evict, and roll back the
> > nomination gracefully if the race is detected. Thoughts?

> Are there really code paths that touch a mfn without going through the
> p2m functions? If so I will copy the check and update xenpaging.

>No, but there are race conditions where CPU A could to the p2m lookup,
>then CPU B nominates the page and changes its p2m entry, then CPU A
>completes the mapping.  In the extreme case, detecting this in the
>eviction code is also subject to the same race; some sort of atomic
>lookup-and-get-reference operation seems like a better fix.

  Tim , Olaf and Adin, do you have any good ideas about the above situation.