Re: [Xen-devel] reg dom0 console

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After a few months of hiatus, we have resumed working on mips port of
> Xen. We are at the point of booting dom0 userland (init process and
> its children).

That sounds awesome! Are you close to having any initial patches for
submission?

We are working with 3.4.0 which is really old. So, we would like to run a few heavyweight applications on Linux, forward port our MIPS changes to 4.1.0 and then submit the patches along with our PV Linux. We are using 2.6.34 Linux kernel and have not been working with pvops interface. So, there might have to be some collective effort to move our MIPS Linux changes into the pvops framework.

> The init process gets spawned and in turn forks off processes to run
> commands in /etc/rc.d/init.d/rcS. However, the getty process does not
> seem to run subsequently and hence the login prompt is not displayed.
> Dom 0 does not use the uart and uses the hvc0 driver.
>
> I searched the web for hints and there were suggestions to add
> directives such as
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 hvc0
>
> to /etc/inittab file. But that does not seem to help.
>
> Could you please give any pointers to get getty talk to the console
> driver correctly ?

Do you have something which is creating the actual /dev/hvc0 node? You
can probably boot with init=/bin/sh in order to get a shell to poke
around and check this with, run the getty by hand etc.

replacing /sbin/init with /bin/sh displays the following output:

"BusyBox v1.14.0 (2009-05-01 15:38:41 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned of
"

and input/commands could not be fed to the shell.

I had a vague recollection that the busybox inittab syntax was a little
different to standard sysvinit but google threw up various things which
suggest that what you've got is OK. Are you maybe in runlevel 1? You
could try changing the 2345->12345 to be sure. You probably want this
getty in single user mode anyway. Alternatively lots of example busybox
configurations I see on google seems to omit the runlevels, which I
guess means "all"?

created an hvc device in /dev and played with different runlevels. But getty process is either dormant or dead and the cpu_idle() function kicks in.