Re: [Xen-devel] xm/xl block-detach issue

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:44:27AM +0200, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nobody getting the same issues with xen 4.1.x and xl
> block-attach/detach of vhd files ?

Hey Sebastien,

I hadn't actually used vhd files so I can't comment on that.

There was bug that was found by Joe Jin
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-07/msg00275.html)
but that is when the disk is mounted - but you don't even get to that.

Is this _only_ happening with vhds? does it appear to exist
with phy's?

> As i'm stuck with that, I've tried to give a try with xen-unstable
> tree. Seems that
> the syntax for block-attach has changed. Anyone has a clue about how
> to attach
> a vhd file as a block device using xl block-attach ?
>
> also with 4.2-unstable
> disk = [ 'tap:vhd:/cloud/data2/machines/vm1.vhd,xvda,w' ]
>
> does not work any more
>
> Parsing config file /cloud/data2/configs/vm1.test.cfg
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1102:libxl_device_disk_local_attach: cannot
> locally attach a qdisk image if the format is not raw
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:437:do_domain_create: failed to run
> bootloader: -3

That is expected .. the upstream version of QEMU does not have all
the bells and whistles the older versions had.