Re: [Xen-devel] request of blkfront may disorder after migration without waiting in suspend phase of migration

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 05:09 -0400, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 19:23 +0100, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 12:36:06PM +0800, alice wan wrote:
> > > Hi konrad,
> > >
> > > I found the mainline linux 3.0-rc6 xen-blkfront driver doesn't implement
> > > suspend func. In my opinion, the blkfront should wait till responses of
> > > all
> > > the pending requests come back, then domu can be suspended,
> >
> > I think you mean blkback. It should be the job of blkback to account for
> > all I/Os and make sure they have completed before migrating?
>
> blkfront has a resume hook which (AIUI) is intended to recover things
> after a migration and this seemingly does not require any work on the
> suspend path (or at least was presumably thought not to when it was
> written...).

>From a pre-copy migration perspective, adding a suspend hook to synch on
pending I/O is not ideal. It's just going to add unsolicited memory
footprint, with fairly arbitrary amounts of additional memory getting
dirtied ('arbitrary' depending on what else is allowed to keep running
in the guest in that state).

I guess that's why post-migration recovery was preferred, and I still
don't see why that's to blame.

Daniel