Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.1.0 and Fedora15 Block device bug?

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Travis <corasian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm using HVM, and I've attached screenshots from the requested output
> (+lspci). No other OS is giving me this problem, and i'm consistently able
> to reproduce it. What's your take?

So no block device detected, and no xen-related module loaded. That's weird.

Two parts of this problem.

The first part is why would the emulated block device be missing. It
should still be there if PV drivers was not loaded.
Are you using the same dom0 (xen and dom0 kernel) and domU config file
for both the working F14 and F15? If yes, try:
- "xen_emul_unplug=never" on kernel command line. See
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
- make sure you use "hda" on domU config file

Awesome, the "xen_emul_unplug=never" arg fixed it. I tossed it in and it booted up and installed just fine. Thanks!!! And the doc you linked is definitely going in my sysadmin toolbox. Sweet!

Second part, F15's boot/config-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64 has these entries:
CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=m

So if you could add xen-platform-pci.ko and xen-blkfront.ko to the
install initrd, you should be able to use PV drivers directly. Not
sure what's the easiest way to do it though (maybe unpack initrd, add
some files, and repack it).

I had tried the fed15 rawhide version from fedora's virtualization-xendomu test day (april) last night, and it includes the support (it reads the v disk as a xen device, even) so hopefully it will be polished up (it was quite a bit rough looking still) and pushed out in the next release/update.

--
Fajar