Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.1.0 and Fedora15 Block device bug?

I'm using HVM, and I've attached screenshots from the requested output (+lspci). No other OS is giving me this problem, and i'm consistently able to reproduce it. What's your take?

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Travis <corasian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a PXE-installer environment that i use for the installation of the
> Ganeti instances. For both versions of Fedora, i've used the kernel/initrd
> provided in their images/pxeboot/ folder as the pxe target. They both catch
> and load anaconda, but it errors out at the storage device configuration of
> the install process, saying it can't find any usable storage devices.
> I've just finished testing it on a vanilla centos 5.6 w/ virtualization
> package, which runs xen 3.1; doing both cdrom/iso and pxe boot installs. the
> same issue. I used lv-based storage for virtual block devices in both
> contexts, and although fedora14 would complain about an un-initialized
> drive, it would initialize the device and treat it as an ide block device.
> Fedora 15 (or the included version of disk druid) doesn't seem to know how
> to initialize a block device.
> To examine disk initialization may be a red herring, however, as the issue
> persists even after otherwise initializing the disk. (using fdisk on the
> logvol or installing 14/centos then reinstalling w/ 15)
> I've also tried to use raw and vmdk file formats as file-based block
> devices. same issue.
> However, it works perfectly using virtualbox or qemu+kvm.
> I know that xen dom0 support, though intended for a return in 15 was pushed
> back to the next release, but i've not read anything regarding a xen domU
> support regression; Though in HVM I would expect that to be a non-issue.

Are you using HVM or PV? Are you able to access the shell? What does
"cat /proc/partitions" and "lsmod" show?

If it's HVM, I suspect it's the similar thing I experienced with
Ubuntu, in that xen-blkfront is loaded, and that it caused emulated
devices to be unplugged, but the PV-on-HVM block device is unusable
because xen-platform-pci is not loaded.

--
Fajar

--
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed
to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain