Re: [Xen-devel] xen kernel crash at boot since 23598:b24018319772

>>> On 30.06.11 at 16:21, Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/06/2011 13:43, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That's likely not the one, but rather 23573:584c2e5e03d9. And
>> indeed it seems like the assertion is a stale leftover from the
>> original non-RCU version of the patch. There are a few more
>> similar ones which may similarly be candidates fro removal.
>>
>> Keir, what's your take on this?
>
> Not sure, pirq_spin_lock_irq_desc() has a comment about the event_lock
> preventing the PIRQ-IRQ mapping from changing under its feet. Why would the
> radix-tree patch change what code is protected by event_lock, anyway?

The whole function (including the comment) got added by that patch.
Hence either comment and assertion need fixing, or both need to
stay and calling code needs adjustment.

The RCU-ness, as I understand it, allows read accesses to the
PIRQ -> IRQ mapping to be done lockless, hence d->event_lock
needs to be held only if the intention is to alter the mapping
(which in particular isn't the case when unmasking an IRQ). Or
did I still not get my RCU thinking right?

Jan