Re: [Xen-devel] reduce time-slice for a specific VM

  • To: David Xu <davidxu06@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:16:26 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 03:17:34 -0700

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM, David Xu <davidxu06@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi David, I'm glad you're trying to contribute to Xen.  Just so you
know, one of the necessary skills in working on a big project like
this is learning how to trace through the source code and figure out
what's happening on your own.  Even those of us who have been working
with Xen for years don't know every part of it, and often have to do
the same thing ourselves when we're looking at a part of the code we
haven't seen before. (Or if it's particularly complicated, even if
it's something we've worked with a lot but haven't touched in 6
months.)

Just giving you the answers ultimately won't be helping you learn this
skill.  But it is very difficult at first, when you have absolutely no
idea where stuff is.  So I'll try to help point you in the right
direction, but you'll still have to try to figure most of it out
yourself.  Ultimately that will help you become a more mature
programmer.

Two things that can help are ctags/gtags (google this), and a form of
recursive grep.  You can either use "rgrep" which will search all
files in a subdirectory tree, or my formula:
$ find . -name "*.[cSh]" | xargs grep -H [whatever]

Hope that helps.  Now to your specific questions:

> I want to reduce the time-slice of vCPUs of a specific VM or a kind of VMs.
> Do you have some good methods besides registering another timer?

Your pluggable scheduler tells the Xen generic scheduler not only
which vcpu to run, but how long to run it.  Look at the return value
of csched_schedule() in sched_credit.c and sched_credit2.c.

> BTW,  I
> plan to adjust the scheduling policy according to pending interrupts, how
> should I do? Is there some interface which can help me to look into the
> pending interrupts for every vCPU? Thanks.

Whenever an event or interrupt is delivered to a vcpu, it calls
schedule.c:vcpu_unblock().  There is currently no callback to notify
the generic scheduler, but if you think that would be helpful, you
could add one.

If there is an unhandled interrupt on a vcpu, vcpu_info(v,
evtchn_upcall_pending) will be set.

Hope that helps.

 -George