[Xen-devel] Re: How is front driver get probed and loaded?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I've finished a Xen prototype for virtio transport layer. I would like
> to make sure it works as expected before I proceed to specific
> drivers.
>
> I'm planning to write simple test backend and dummy front driver. But
> I have difficulty understanding how Xen front driver (e.g.
> xen-blkfront) is probed and loaded.
>
> Do I just need to setup corresponding xenstore entries and it will
> work out of the box?

Xen frontend drivers probing and configuration is all done through
xenstore. The toolstack writes the initial xenstore entries, then the
frontend and the backend fill up the rest.
There is a "state" node on xenstore that identifies in which state the
frontend and the backend are, where 4 is "connected".

I am not sure whether the existing xenstore protocol is going to help
you, I would probably try to stay closer to the behaviour of the virtio
pci protocol instead.