Re: [Xen-devel] bad write performance with qdisk with larger files in pv-domU

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:49:47PM +0000, Ronny Hegewald wrote:
> Im using the following 32-bit setup:
>
> - xen 4.1.0
> - upstream linux-kernel 2.6.39 as dom0
> - linux 2.6.32 pv-domU that has several ext3 partitions mounted with qdisk
> (same behaviour with a 2.6.39 kernel, so i continued the investigation with
> the 2.6.32er kernel)
>
> Die read performance is good (ca. 60 MB/s)
>
> For smaller files (< 30-40 MB) the write-speed is ok.
>
> But if i copy a larger file (ca > 40 MB), the write speed decreases to ca.
> 0,5
> MB/s, after the first ca. 40 MBs are written.
>
> One reason for the bad performance might be that qdisk doesnt use AIO. For
> testing purposes i activated AIO in hw/xen_disk.c (i set use_aio=1), but the
> domU freezed shortly after the domU-kernel started.

You could also use this patch:
http://darnok.org/xen/qdisk_vs_blkback_v3.1/qemu-enable-aio.patch

But why not use the 3.0-rc1 with the xen-blkback? Or if you want to use 2.6.39
you could use the

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git stable/2.6.39.x
tree

> Is this performance-impact expected when no AIO is used?

Yeah, it is slow.