Re: [Xen-devel] Are there source codes for Xen-IB?

Hi,

I happen to have done a huge amount of research into this as our
infrastructure is all based on converged Infiniband.

Xen-IB and SmartIO were two seperate attempts at building a
paravirtualised Infinband driver for Xen that allowed guests to use
native Infinband protocols at close to native speeds. Being
paravirtualised they were live-migration cappable and many domU could
share a single Infiniband adapter.

As far as I am aware both of the projects are dead, however SR-IOV
isn't long off for Infiniband, Mellanox is on target to push theirs
upstream into OFED 1.6 due in November, Qlogic and Oracle/Sun will be
quick to follow I would imagine.

SR-IOV will allow pretty similar functionality but less portable in
terms of live-migrate etc.

It is worth noting here that you can't bridge IPoIB, IPoIB is not a
layer 2 device and doesn't understand Ethernet. You can use EoIB
(Ethernet over IB) or routing to provide network access to domUs.

Feel free to email me if you need any help with Infiniband and Xen.

Joseph.

Kind regards,
Joseph.
Founder | Director