Re: [Xen-devel] Perfctr-Xen framework for permonace analysis

  • To: Ruslan Nikolaev <nruslan_devel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:57:47 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 May 2011 07:00:20 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Ruslan Nikolaev
<nruslan_devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, at least it can peacefully coexist with oprofile. AFAIK, XenOProf has
> some limitations (system wide monitoring only), and works only with OProfile.
> Many people would also prefer to use PAPI/HPCToolkit/PerfExplorer. HPCToolkit
> itself is quite sophisticated framework with elaborated functionality. It is
> quite comparable to OProfile. PerfExplorer is also a very interesting
> project. PAPI is used by developers to do wide range of measurements which
> are not necessarily possible with OProfile. The key feature of Perfctr-Xen is
> that it allows to do all levels of performance monitoring, it does not
> restrict to profiling.

xenoprof enables the normal Linux oprofile, which can be used on
processes, as well as on domains and on Xen itself.  I don't remember
if oprofile allows collection of performance counters on individual
processes though; I suspect not.

I'm a bit torn -- if people are used to using oprofile under Linux, it
may be advantageous to keep that, rather than replacing it outright
with a new tool.  But as you said about the scheduler, Keir, oprofile
gets little enough love as it is...

 -George