Re: [Xen-devel] Perfctr-Xen framework for permonace analysis

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ruslan Nikolaev <nruslan_devel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:35:39 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:37:35 -0700

Well, at least it can peacefully coexist with oprofile. AFAIK, XenOProf has
some limitations (system wide monitoring only), and works only with OProfile.
Many people would also prefer to use PAPI/HPCToolkit/PerfExplorer. HPCToolkit
itself is quite sophisticated framework with elaborated functionality. It is
quite comparable to OProfile. PerfExplorer is also a very interesting project.
PAPI is used by developers to do wide range of measurements which are not
necessarily possible with OProfile. The key feature of Perfctr-Xen is that it
allows to do all levels of performance monitoring, it does not restrict to
profiling.

This framework and xenoprof provide orthogonal solutions which both can be used
in different circumstances.

Thanks,
Ruslan Nikolaev