[Xen-devel] Re: Upstream Qemu + Xen can not boot HVM domain

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Bei Guan wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> I am trying to compile the upstream qemu on xen-4.2-unstable. Now, the
> compiling is successful, but I can't boot a HVM
> doamin, such as windows and ubuntu.
>
> For windows XP HVM boot, it just reboots when the window interface shown. For
> creating a ubuntu hvm img form a iso file,
> the screen seems to freezing at the start interface.
>
> All the log messages from "xl dm" are as following. The domain0 kernel is
> 2.6.18.8. Thanks.

Unfortunately there are still some problems with Windows on the new
qemu, so I suggest you to use Linux as a guest instead.
Ubuntu's screen might seem to be freezing but it is probably just slow,
try to install it in text mode or use this branch instead:

candidates/vga-dirtybit

it contains an important optimization for the vga emulation.