Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Abnormal memory usage of dom0 under Squeeze leading to crash

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 09:28 +0000, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>

>> On 02/03/2011 04:34 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> > Way not enough information. You are actually balooning the dom0
>> down?
>>
>> using "xm mem-set Domain-0 800" yes...
>
> >From what initial size?
>
> Does using dom0_mem=800M have the same issue?
>
>> > Please provide all informations. xm dmesg, the kernel log, xm info.
>>
>> How, if the server reboots when I do it?
>
> In that case please can you setup a serial console.
>
> Ian.

I would like to just second this. I have 3 hosts running squeeze and
am running into that issue as well. It seems after i start enough
guests to leave dom0 with less than 1gb i get OOM going crazy killing
xend and very shortly after a crash of dom0 which leads to reboot.
Prior to Xen4 I had similarly bad experiences with memory ballooning,
most with regard to any attempt to balloon down. I figured I'd give it
a go on 4 and it seems I will be going back to limiting dom0's ram
from the cmdline.