Re: [Xen-devel] Intel S3420GPLX VT-d VF question

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:32:18 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 11:52:24PM -0500, Michael A. Collins wrote:
I have successfully booted xen on Fedora 14 x86_64 with iommu=force

Ok.. Um, what Fedora kernel are we taking about here? Do you have
the full serial log?
on the kernel line, I can unbind a pci device and rebind to pci-stub
and see it with xm pci-list-assignable-devices.  That's cool.  Now I
have an Intel 82576 dual-port ET Adapter that supports SR-IOV and
started configuring everything to enable it's virtual functions:
added pci_pt_e820_access=on to the module line that contains the
vmlinuz

Why? It doesn't automatically load without that parameter?
created igb.conf under /etc/modprobe.d with options igb max_vfs=7
added blacklist igbvf to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Why blacklist it?

I was under the impression that I should see some kind of message
about MMCONFIG in xm dmesg, but there isn't anything.  I do a xm
dmesg | grep -i pci and it finds nothing with MMCONFIG.  I guess my

Huh? Why? Do you see the 7 ethernet PCI device being created?

next question is what do I do next?  How do I troubleshoot further?

What are you trying to troubleshoot? Did you lspci output change
after you loaded the igbvf?

Below is the VT-d messages from xm dmesg:
(XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d DMA Passthrough not supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation supported.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping not supported.

Does MMCONFIG have something to do with the fact the Interrupt
Remapping not supported message is displayed?

No. It just means your VT-D chipset does not support interrupt
remapping.

Mike

I didn't know if this actually made it on the list, since it didn't show up in my inbox when I sent it, so the second email from me is a duplicate. Sorry.

The kernel I am using is myoung's pre-built rpm from http://myoung.fedorapeople.org/dom0/x86_64/kernel-2.6.32.26-174.2.xendom0.fc12.x86_64.rpm. I am also using the 4.0.1 rpms from http://pasik.reaktio.net/fedora/xen-4.0.1-6.fc14.src.rpm. I am following the instructions from http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/Fedora13Xen4Tutorial.

The pci_pt_e820_access=on setting was taken from the following blog: http://blogs.oracle.com/wim/2010/10/playing_with_sr_iov_in_oracle.html. I was under the impression that that option had to be set for the VFs to be seen by the kernel. I have not tried it without, but will do that tonight. The blacklist settings was referenced in the above article, so I stuck it in. I will try to load the igbvf tonight as well.

I do not see the 7 Virtual Functions in lspci.

Thanks for the reply, I will try without the e820 option and loading the igbvf module tonight if that works, I'll let you know. If not, I'll respond with the full xen dmesg output.
Mike