[Xen-devel] Why reserve maxmem on restore on ia64?

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Miroslav Rezanina <mrezanin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:21:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:22:35 -0700

Hi,
while checking the code I found out that when we restore guest on ia64 machine,
we reserve up to maxmem pages and than free unused pages. As I'm not familiar
with ia64 platform, I'd like to ask what's the reason for such a behavior? This
prevent restoring guest on machine where is not enough memory available to
alocate maxmem but there's enough memory for alocating memory.

Thanks for answer,
Mirek
--
Miroslav Rezanina
Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - XEN kernel