Re: [Xen-devel] Re: new netfront and occasional receive path lockup

  • To: "Xu, Dongxiao" <dongxiao.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gerald Turner <gturner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:12:30 -0700
  • Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:13:27 -0700

"Xu, Dongxiao" <dongxiao.xu@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Does this bug only happen when you launch multiple domUs?  I tried a
> single domU and could not catch the bug.

I've been working on this server for about two weeks, I hadn't noticed
the problem for the first week when I only had 3 domUs.  It started
happening when I added 10 more domUs.  The problem would happen quickly,
within 10 minutes, always affecting at least two domUs at random, and
affect more domUs over time.

Saturday I installed the updated driver with Jeremy's use_smartpoll
parameter, ran for 24 hours with smartpoll disabled, no problems.

Today I've been trying with smartpoll enabled.  It took an hour to
affect two domUs - noticibly longer than the behavior previous days
before installing your patch.  I still have 9 other domUs running with
smartpoll enabled, four hours uptime, I'm surprised they haven't been
affected yet.  Could there be another less-frequent race in
smart_poll_function?

--
Gerald Turner  Email: gturner@xxxxxxxxxx  JID: gturner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5  21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D  4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5