Re: [Xen-devel] Virtio in Xen

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:50:42PM +0530, Jagadish Nadimpalli wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I am newbie to Xen. I have a basic question about virtio in Xen. I have
>    posted this question to xen-users list also. Please ignore if you have
>    responded to this question in that list.
>
>    Does the paravirtualization in Xen use virtio? What is the difference
>    between virtio and paravirtualization? The Xen HVM has Qemu-dm which runs
>    in dom0 as backend which emulates the hardware. Is virtio used in Xen-HVM
>    tye of virtualization? Since Qemu running on KVM has this virtio, I am
>    having this doubt.

No, Xen doesn't use virtio. At least not currently.

Xen PV guests always automatically use paravirtualized (optimized) drivers,
and these were available way before virtio drivers for kvm.

Xen also has 'pv-on-hvm' drivers for fully virtualized (HVM) guests.
These are not related to virtio either.

Recently the Xen pv-on-hvm drivers were accepted upstream in Linux 2.6.36 (rc).

-- Pasi