Re: [Xen-devel] Patch fixing vlan handling when network-bridge scriptis used

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Michael Brade <brade@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:59:29 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:01:21 -0700

On Thursday 19 August 2010 06:20:47 James Harper wrote:
> > Miroslav Rezanina writes ("[Xen-devel] Patch fixing vlan handling when
> >
> > network-bridge script is used"):
> > > We had problem using tagged vlans inside domU. Testing shows that
> > > this is caused by changing network interfaces in network-bridge
> > > script. Following patch should allow to use vlans in guest.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting this.
> >
> > This is just another way in which the network-bridge approach, of
> > trying to transfer all the details from one interface to another,
> > won't work well.
> >
> > I think you would be much better served if you just used your
> > operating system's features (/etc/network/interfaces on Debian) to set
> > up the bridge and call it xenbr0, and disabled network-bridge
> > entirely.
> >
> > Rather than apply your patch, I would prefer to change network-bridge
> > so that it explicitly fails when vlans are detected and tells you to
> > do it the other way.
> >
> > Anyone else have an opinion /
>
> I always set up networking in /etc/network/interfaces. I think that xend
> doing it for you is nice but it breaks so easily that I wonder if it's
> worth it at all. IMO, the default should be that xend doesn't touch the
> bridge at all, but leave the option to do so in the config but commented
> out.
>
> Of course, you don't hear from the people that are all using it with no
> problem at all...

Well, I did have a few problems with the network-script, too, and then decided
to drop it and do it all in network/interfaces. I didn't report it because the
main problem for me was initialization order and there is nothing that I found
that could be done to fix that script - when xend starts it's already too late.

But I had to add the "ethtool -K $vif tx off" to vif-bridge to fix the
checksums
error. Maybe this could be added by default with a check for ethtool?

cheers,
--
Michael Brade;                                              KDE Developer
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 4: Beyond Your Expectations