Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-4.0.1-rc5-pre] [pvops 2.6.32.16] Complete freeze within 2 days, no info in serial log

Hi Konrad,

Thx for your response, and i saw Linus pulled the swiotlb code .. way to go !

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:48:44AM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>> Hi Konrad/Jeremy,
>>
>> I have tested the last 2 days with the vm's with passthroughed devices
>> shutdown, and no freeze so far.
>> I'm running now with one of the vm's that runs an old 2.6.33 kernel from an
>> old tree from Konrad together with some hacked up patches for xhci/usb3
>> support.
>> That seems to be running fine for some time now (although not a full 2 days
>> yet).
>>
>> So my other vm seems to cause the freeze.
>>
>> - This one uses the devel/merge.2.6.35-rc6.t2 as domU kernel, i think i
>> should try an older version of pci-front/xen-swiotlb perhaps.
>> - It has both a usb2 and usb3 controller passed through, but the xhci module
>> has much changed since the hacked up patches from the kernel in de working
>> domU vm
>> - Most probably the drivers for the videograbbers will have changed
>>
>> So i suspect:
>>    - newer pci-front / xen-swiotlb
>>    - xhci/usb3 driver
>>    - drivers videograbber
>>
>> Most probable would be a roque dma transfer that can't be catched by xen /
>> pciback I guess, and therefore would be hard to debug ?

> The SWIOTLB "brains" by themselves haven't changed since the
> uhh...2.6.33. The code internals that just got Ack-ed upstream looks quite
> similar to the one that Jeremy carries in xen/stable-2.6.32.x. The
> outside plumbing parts are the ones that changed.

> The fixes in the pci-front, well, most of those are "burocractic" in
> nature - set the ownership to this, make hotplug work, etc. The big
> fixes were the MSI/MSI-X ones but those were big news a couple of months
> ago (and I think that was when 2.6.34 came out).

> The videograbber (vl4) stack trace you sent to me some time ago looked
> liked a mutex was held for a very very long time... which I wonder if
> that is the cmpxch compiler bug that has hit some folks. Are you using
> Debian?

Yes i'm using Debian, i saw that bug fix too, but since Jeremy didn't include
it in stable yet i also didn't :-)
Well you gave me a pointer here, looking again it seems to hang on the device
on the usb2 controller and not the usb3.
So to rule out the usb3 stuff i will drop that usb2 controller and see if that
works. If so, it must be a problem in the driver.
Since that grabber + usb2 controller worked for quite a while grabbing
perfectly.

> But we can do something easy. I can rebase my 2.6.33 kernel with the
> latest Xen-SWIOTLB/SWIOTLB engine + Xen PCI front, and we can eliminate the
> SWIOTLB/PCIfront being at fault here.. Let me do that if your  2.6.33
> VM guest is running fine for the last two days.

I will first try the above, if that doesn't work out,  i will try the 2.6.33
again for longer and report back !

Thx Again !