RE: [Xen-devel] xl list vs xm list: backwards compatibility vs forward progress?

Hmmm... perhaps xm keeps track of xm mem-set commands... but a
domain can do ballooning without involvement of the toolchain.
Self-ballooning (see xen.hg/tools/xenballoon, in tree for about
two years now) does that in-guest-userland and I have kernel rpms
for EL5u5 and RHEL6b2 that do it in-guest-kernel.  (The latter
will be the preferred guest deployment method for Xen systems
running tmem to optimize memory utilization.)

With self-ballooning in a guest, xl list and xm list
very definitely show different values for memory.

Dan

P.S. Frankly, I think the xm list behavior is a bug, but
backwards compatibility -- plus my poor parseltongue --
stopped me from trying to fix it.