Re: [Xen-devel] RE: VMQ support in pvops Netchannel2?

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 23:56 +0100, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 10:18 PM, Santos, Jose Renato G wrote:
> > Pasi
> >
> > Sorry for the delay in responding.
> > My email filter stored your message on my folder for xen-devel which I am
> > not reading very often recently.
> >
> > The latest version of netchannel2 I worked on was on Steven's nc2-2.6.27
> > kernel tree.
> > That version does not have VMDq support since the Intel ixgbe driver in
> > 2.6.27 does not have VMDq support.
> > I am not sure what is Jeremy's plan to port that code to pvops.
> > But I think that is the first step. After that we can work on getting VMDq
> > support with Mitch's help.
> > So I think Jeremy is probably the best person to give you an update on the
> > plan to merge netechannel2 code into pvops.
>
> I'm not keen on carrying the nc2 codebase in its current state since it
> is largely unmaintained, far from upstreamable and I haven't seen any
> real demand for it.

IMHO creating a second complete PV network infrastructure is a big
mistake from both a usability and on going maintenance point of view.

There is no fundamental reason why the key features of nc2 could not be
implemented as optional features of the existing front/back drivers,
negotiated via xenstore.

Ian.