Re: [Xen-devel] no udev events in netback domU driver domain 2.6.32.14

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
it to return status information to dom0:
/local/domain/X/backend/vif/Y/Z/hotplug-status
The xenstore is completely inaccessible from my driver domain
however. I've installed the xenstored daemon in the driver domain
which requires running it with the --no-domain-init option to keep
it from trying to execute privileged operations (it's not dom0).

You should be able to read it? At least for your domain entry?
Even with the xenstored daemon running though I (and the networking
scripts) still can't access then xenstore.

Well, you can't access all of it b/c there is an ownership of the
/local/domain/0 being under Dom0. Not under DomU. AFAICT the backends
use those entries (for example, netback detects via watches that
somebody wrote in /local/domain/0/backend/vif and calls its .probe
function), they will interogate the XenStore and then create udev events
which are fired off to userspace.

The problem I was having (past tense since I've figured it out) was a number of small things going wrong at the same time. The udev events weren't the problem it was figuring out what tools needed to be installed in the driver domain, what modules needed to be loaded, as well as some debugging in the vif scripts.

Thanks for your input Konrad. I'll be adding a few notes to the xen wiki page for driver domains.

Cheers,
- Philip

--
Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush,
each pursuing his own best interest.