Re: [Xen-devel] no udev events in netback domU driver domain 2.6.32.14

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 10:04:03PM -0400, philip tricca wrote:
I've spent a bit trying to configure and unprivileged network driver
domain using the current 2.6.32.14 pvops kernel (haven't up'd to .15
due to incompatibility with 4.0.0 release).  I've been partially
successful but am failing in what I'd think would be the last step:
getting udev rules to fire when attaching network devices using
xen-netback & xen-netfront drivers.  From my reading of the pvops
wiki page there's a possibility that the wiring between the drivers
and the udev events may not have been forward ported completely.  In
fact, using 'udevadm monitor' I don't see any events at all when the
vif is created in the driver domain and when eth0 is created in the
client (both are created when xm network-attach is run).

You won't see the 'eth0' being created from Dom0 side. But you should
see the rest:

Correct. I don't see any udev events from dom0: the nic is passed to a domU (call it a driver domain) through pciback so all of the vif events happen there. Another domU is getting its eth0 through the netback offered up by the driver domain

Is anyone familiar enough with these portions of the driver to
comment on this?  If this "should" be working I can post the details
of my setup and debug information if necessary but I don't want to
flood the list with a huge email if it isn't necessary.

This is what I get:

[root@phenom ~]#  udevadm monitor --kernel --env --property
monitor will print the received events for:
KERNEL - the kernel uevent

<snip\>

I am now getting the right udev events (the same ones Konrad shows) in both my driver domain and in the client. The problem I am still having is related to the xenstore.

The network scripts run by udev access data in the xen store and use it to return status information to dom0:
/local/domain/X/backend/vif/Y/Z/hotplug-status
The xenstore is completely inaccessible from my driver domain however. I've installed the xenstored daemon in the driver domain which requires running it with the --no-domain-init option to keep it from trying to execute privileged operations (it's not dom0).

Even with the xenstored daemon running though I (and the networking scripts) still can't access then xenstore.

I'm making progress but I could use a hint if someone's got one.

Cheers,
- Philip