Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch RFC] ttm: nouveau accelerated on Xen pv-ops kernel

> >> Which stable branch have you rebased it for (.31, .32, .33?)?
> >
> > .32.
> >
> > and then I backported the DRM/TTM/KMS from 2.6.34 to be able to test the
> > nouveau driver.
> >>
> >> Have you tested it with some composting Window Manager (e.g. in KDE or
> >> Gnome with enables desktop effects)?
> >
> > Yes. I think so (isn't that the default thing?).
>
> No, both KDE and GNOME have composition disabled by default. On KDE, you
> need to go to Computer/System Settings/Desktop and then "Enable Desktop
> Eff3cts". You might need to click on the "Advanced" tab, and choose
> XRender instead of Open GL (and maybe also tick "Disable Functionality
> checks").

On my nouveau it just says: "Desktop effects required hardware 3D
support." I will try with the Radeon and Intel graphics stuff next week.

> > Played some tuxracer when testing it on Radeon and I think the i915,
>
> i915 is the Intel card, right? So, it's not served by the nouveau code,
> is it?

Right... I don't think I actually tested the XRender code then.
But I did test the OpenGL code on Radeon and the Intel chipsets that I
had.

> > so the OpenGL components worked OK.
>
> Hmmm, that's interesting. I think I never got Open GL working on
> nouveau, even on baremetal (I tested via KDE -- see above).

Right. That is expected as the 3D components are not in the nouveau driver
yet. Based on "http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/":
"Any 3-D functionality that might exist is still unsupported. Do not ask
for instructions to try it. But you can read GalliumHowto in case you
are brave enough."

> > I know that 3D don't work on the nouveau driver so hadn't
> > tried that.
> >

> No worries, 3D desktop effects are overrated ;) All I want is "Expose" :)

Based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xlib and the little example
code that comes with it I Expose events do work with Xen dom0
with Xorg 1.8 and with the nouveau driver.

.. snip ..
> >> Finally, have you tested S3 sleep? (Has anybody actually got pvops0 .31
> >> or .32 support S3 sleep?).
> >
> > HA! Working on that and S5 right now. Jeremy mentioned he did get S3
> > working, but hadn't tried other modes. S5, S3, and S1 on my SuperMicro
> > XF8TN just don't work. Not sure if I have the Xen ACPI hypercalls
> > thought in the code base.
>
> What is the fundamental difference in S3 sleep support between pvops0
> vs. xenlinux, which seems to support S3 sleep quite well. At least the
> 2.6.34-xenlinux, the one from OpenSUSE? Or is it just the .34 kernel,
> that apparently is said to have lots of S3 sleep improvements?

<spreads his arms> Don't know yet. Jeremy just pinged me and said he got
on his laptop S3 to suspend working quite well.