[Xen-devel] Re: philosophically about IGD pass-through (was: feature suggestion: DMAR table emulation for Xen)

On 14/05/2010 12:47, "Joanna Rutkowska" <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It's good to distinguish 3D acceleration for the *Window Manager* vs. 3D
> acceleration for the *apps*. In Qubes we keep the Window Manager in
> Dom0, so, as long as the graphics driver is not broken, the Window
> Manager gets all the fancy 3D effects, just like on the native.
>
> The only(?) advantage you gain by using graphics passthorugh is for the
> apps. But is it really worth it? How many 3D-capable apps business users
> use today? Google Earth? Anything else? So, in order to support Google
> Earth, is it really worth to introduce potential VM escape attacks?

Well, XenClient != Qubes. ;-) Different system architecture; different
threat model; and probably different usage scenarios as well.

 -- Keir