Re: [Xen-devel] status of PV drivers in Xen 4.0

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 05:05:37PM +0100, Andrew Lyon wrote:

> >> I'm not sure where to go next with this but I hope this info is useful.
> >>

> > Congratulations!
> >
> > This is valuable information, thanks for going through that.
> >
> > Can you reproduce this with Xen 4.0.0 ? ie. does opensuse xen have
> > some patches related to pv-on-hvm drivers?
>
> I believe SLES11SP1 will have Xen 4.0 but I have been unable to find
> anywhere to download srpms, apparently they are on dvd2 but as it is
> still in beta there are no iso images either, however opensuse factory
> does have a Xen 4.0 srpm:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/xen-4.0.0_20978_01-1.4.src.rpm
>
> So the same process could be followed using that, I'm going to give it
> a try tomorrow.

Did you have time to try this yet?

> > If there are some patches, those should be upstreamed to Xen.
>
> Hmm, the patches may simply be there to allow building using the
> /usr/src/linux/include/xen headers instead of /usr/src/xen/ , and as
> xensource does not have a newer "classic" kernel than 2.6.18 why would
> they upsteam them.

There has been a lot of demand for PV-on-HVM drivers recently so things
that make them easier to build should be integrated to Xen, imo.

Getting pvops-based pv-on-hvm drivers to upstream Linux is the ultimate goal of
course :)

-- Pasi