Re: [Xen-devel] domU is causing misaligned disk writes

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:49:55AM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 01:09:58AM -0700, Tracy Reed wrote:
> > Anyone know why my xen xvda devices would be doing (apparently)
> > unaligned writes to my SAN causing horrible performance and massive
> > seeking and lots of reading for page cache backfill? BUT writing to
> > the device in the dom0 is very fast and causes no extra reads?
> >
> > I am running the 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen xen/kernel which came with
> > CentOS 5.4
> >
> > After spending a lot of time banging my head on this I seem to have
> > finally tracked it down to a difference between domU and dom0.  I
> > never would have thought it would be this but it is extremely
> > reproduceable. We're talking a difference of 4-5x in write speed.
> > Reads are equally fast everywhere.
> >
> > I am using AoE v72 kernel module (initiator) on a Dell R610's to talk
> > to vblade-19 (target) on Dell R710's all running CentOS 5.4. I have
> > striped two 7200 RPM SATA disks and exported the md with AoE (although
> > I have done these tests with individual disks also). Read performance
> > is excellent:
> >
> > # dd of=/dev/null if=/dev/xvdg1 bs=4096 count=3000000
> > 3000000+0 records in
> > 3000000+0 records out
> > 12288000000 bytes (12 GB) copied, 106.749 seconds, 115 MB/s
> >
> > I dropped the cache with:
> >
> > echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> >
> > on both target and initiator before starting the test. This is great
> > for just a single gig-e link. This suggests that the network is fine.
> >
> > However, write performance is odious. Typically around 20MB/s. It
> > should be more like 70MB/s per disk or better (7200rpm SATA) and max
> > out my gig-e with write performance similar to the above read
> > performance. I mentioned above that these are unaligned writes because
> > when running iostat on the target machine I can see lots of reads
> > happening which are surely causing seeks and killing
> > performance. Typical is something like 8MB/s of reads while doing
> > 16MB/s of writes.
> >
> > HOWEVER, if I do the writes from the dom0 the performance is
> > excellent:
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/etherd/e6.2 bs=4096 count=3000000
> > 3000000+0 records in
> > 3000000+0 records out
> > 12288000000 bytes (12 GB) copied, 104.679 seconds, 117 MB/s
> >
> > And I see no reads happening on the disks being written to in
> > iostat. Purely streaming writes at high speeds.
> >
> > I have had AoE working very well with Xen previously although not with
> > this particular hardware/xen/aoe version. Also it occurs to me that in
> > the past when I have done this I network booted the domU's and they
> > got root over AoE using a complicated initrd that I cooked up. In the
> > last year or so I decided that it was too complicated and went to
> > booting my dom0's from compact flash with the AoE driver in the dom0
> > instead of the domU. I now handing the domU xvd's from the AoE driver
> > in dom0. I strongly suspect that this is why things worked great
> [...]

Also it's easy to verify.. add another disk (xvdb) to the domU,
and use dd to write directly to non-partitioned disk!

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xvdb bs=something count=whatever

This shouldn't cause any un-aligned writes.

Also make sure you try different block sizes.. 4k might be ok for testing max
iops,
but 64k or even 1024k is good for measuring max throughput.

-- Pasi