[Xen-devel] [PROPOSAL] Doing work in idle-vcpu context

George, Yunhong, and others,

So, it seems that runing stop_machine_run(), and now
continue_hypercall_on_cpu(), in softirq context is a bit of a problem.
Because the softirq can stop the currently-running vcpu from being
descheduled we can end up with subtle deadlocks. For example, with s_m_r()
we try to rendezvous all cpus in softirq context -- we can have CPU A enter
the softirq interrupting VCPU X, meanwhile VCPU Y on CPU B is spinning
trying to pause VCPU X. Hence CPU B doesn't get into softirq, and so CPU A
never leaves it, and we have deadlock.

There are various possible solutions to this, but one of the architecturally
neatest would be to run the s_m_r() and c_h_o_c() work in a
'Linux-workqueue' type of environment -- i.e., in a proper non-guest vcpu
context. Rather than introducing the whole kthread concept into Xen, one
possibility would be to schedule this work on the idle vcpus -- effectively
promoting idle vcpus to a more general kind of 'Xen worker vcpu' whose job
can include running the idle loop.

One bit of mechanism this would require is the ability to bump the idle vcpu
priority up - preferably to 'max' priority forcing it to run next until we
return it to idle/lowest priority. George: how hard would such a mechanism
be to implement do you think?

More generally: what do people think of this idea?

 Thanks,
 Keir