Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Panic on boot on Sun Blade 6270

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dan Gora <dan.gora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:48:45 -0300
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 04:49:57 -0700

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So are you saying even plain SLE11 doesn't work on that box?

No, I'm not saying that.. SLES 11 + Xen 3.3.1 "works" (yes I have a
problem with it, but I'm still trying to figure it out).  In trying to
figure out my other problem I wanted to upgrade Xen to something later
but was not having any luck building and installing Xen from the hg
repo.  So I went to download.suse.com and downloaded the Xen 3.4.1
SRPMS, used rpmbuild to build the RPMS, installed those and that
panics on boot.  I could not install the 4.0.0 RPMs because there were
conflicts with the required prerequisites and what I already
installed, so I gave up.

> If so, why didn't you report this to our support folks yet?

I haven't reported the 3.4.1 crash just because:
1) I just found it a couple of days ago.
2) I don't have a support contract.
3) I'm really busy trying to solve the issue with my board.

> As said above - it's supposed to work (both with the 3.3.1 that SLE11
> ships with [or really, with the most recent maintenance updates in
> place for both kernel and Xen] and upstream versions down to 3.2.0).
> The only limitation I know about for certain (Sun?) systems is that
> not all interrupts may be usable by their devices/drivers. That
> limitation goes away only with 4.0 (i.e. earlier upstream versions
> won't - afaict - get you anywhere either if this is the case).

So we should be able use 4.0 on SLES 11 somehow?  How can I install a
newer Xen on this system.  The only way that I can get anything to
work that I compile from source is using the Xen 3.3.1 SRPM and using
rpmbuild to build the RPMs from that.  With that I can also modify the
3.3.1 Xen a bit to add printfs and the like to actually debug the
problem with my board (although that process is a total pain).

Is it possible to build something from the hg Xen repo and install it
on the SLES 11 system and have it work?  There seem to be a lot of
suse specific patches in the SRPMs, but I haven't gone through them to
see what they are all about...

thanks
dan