Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Panic on boot on Sun Blade 6270

>>> Dan Gora <dan.gora@xxxxxxxxx> 16.03.10 03:39 >>>
>:)... Yes I did build with CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y.  I guess I
>considered the panic more incidental... Really the problem was that
>the machine locked up on boot.  I didn't realize that
>CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER could cause a panic.. I thought that it just
>turned on using the frame pointer register so that backtraces would
>work.

Our kernels have working backtraces without CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER,
which is why we are (happily) disabling this option.

>I tried to install the xen 3.4.1 from the SuSE rpms after this and
>also could not get that to work.  That too would panic on boot up.  I

It definitely shouldn't.

>tried to install the xen 4.0.0 rpms, but quickly ran into prerequisite
>problems and just gave up and went back to using xen 3.3.1, building
>it from the SRPMS (I still cannot get anything to work just building
>it from the xen hg repo).

So are you saying even plain SLE11 doesn't work on that box? If so,
why didn't you report this to our support folks yet?

>I realize that this Sun box is probably pretty funky (it's a PCI
>express module based machine) so it might have some peculiar issues
>that would be of interest, but I've got to figure this other issue out
>first because I have customers on my back.  If you are interested,
>Jan, I can go back and get the backtrace from the 3.4.1 panic, but if
>SLES 11 is too old to try and debug I'll just forget about it..

As said above - it's supposed to work (both with the 3.3.1 that SLE11
ships with [or really, with the most recent maintenance updates in
place for both kernel and Xen] and upstream versions down to 3.2.0).
The only limitation I know about for certain (Sun?) systems is that
not all interrupts may be usable by their devices/drivers. That
limitation goes away only with 4.0 (i.e. earlier upstream versions
won't - afaict - get you anywhere either if this is the case).

Jan