RE: [Xen-devel] dom0 hang in xen-4.0.0-rc5 - possible acpi issue? [WAS: Using xen-unstable, dom0 hangs during boot]

  • To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Nadolski, Ed" <Ed.Nadolski@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:59:16 -0600
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:01:35 -0700

Everything seems to work if I specify acpi_skip_timer_override in grub.conf.  I
think I may be seeing the following issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/272247?comments=all
System freezes during boot, unless I hold a key down
Ubuntu >> "linux" package >> Bugs >> Bug #272247

> The problem behind this seems not limited to a certain controller
> chip, but related to ACPI BIOS definitions. The IRQ0 override
> defines to which interrupt number the timer interrupt is supposed
> to be routed. Most BIOS define a route to IRQ2, so the timer
> source (hpet in most cases) has to deliver an IRQ2 whenever a
> timer expires. The problem is, that this is not always correct
> (either hpet does not use IRQ2 or IRQ2 is not enabled on the
> chipset). So as soon as all CPUs go into sleep there is no
> timer irq to wake them up. To solve this automatically one
> would need documentation about the chipsets pci config space
> which is often secret.
>
> Workaround for affected systems: Use of "acpi_skip_timer_override"
> as kernel command line option. Sometimes "nohpet" or "acpi=noirq"
> have been reported to work, too."

Is there a way that I can verify that this is the issue?

Thanks again,
Ed