Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 hang in xen-4.0.0-rc5 - possible acpi issue? [WAS: Using xen-unstable, dom0 hangs during boot]

> I've found out a bit more.  First, I've upgraded to Xen 4.0.0-rc5, but the
> problem persists.

Bummer..

> I've pasted some more trace below, including a WARN_ON() before the call to
> msleep().  The jumps in the timestamps show where msleep() hung and I hit the
> power button to force it to resume.
>
> Looks like the serial8250 driver gets IRQ 3 for ttyS1.  I'm not clear what
> the "will not share" message for IRQ 0 means -- maybe it means Xen won't
> allow the IRQ to be shared with a guest?  It seems to happen in a loop that
> is initializing all the IRQs, not just the IRQ for the serial port.
>
> Interestingly, I can make the hang go away by specifying
> "acpi_skip_timer_override" to xen in grub.conf.  AFAICT this is meant for
> some BIOS issues, but I don't think this system has a problem BIOS, since it
> cleanly boots Xen 3.4.1 & CentOS 5.3 dom0 without acpi_skip_timer_override.
> Does that sound like maybe some kind of issue in the recent ACPI code?  Would
> that be in Xen or in the dom0 Linux?

Well, to be fair, 5.3 is a bit ancient. And since then the ACPI code in
2.6.31 handles much more - it might be that you are hitting something new.

I don't remember, but did you try just booting bare-metal with the
pv-ops kernel? No Xen, just pv-ops by itself. Did it boot but without
the serial console?

Also can you try booting the kernel with Xen, with 'initcall_debug' for
your kernel command line? That "Xen: Cannot share IRQ0 with guest" is troubling
me and I want to have an idea what part of the kernel code triggers
this.