RE: [Xen-devel] pre-reservation of memory for domain creation

>>> "Xu, Dongxiao" <dongxiao.xu@xxxxxxxxx> 09.02.10 09:02 >>>
>The patch I attached last time could not solve this issue. The reason is
>the same that, at the point when shadow allocates memory for each vcpu,
>xend hasn't ballooned out enough memory.

This is why I pinged Tim again.

>I discussed this issue within our team, however we could't achieve a
>good solution currently since Chinese New Year vacation will soon start.
>Anyway I made a work-around patch for it, though you may not like it.

Yes, this is what I don't want to do unless absolutely necessary. At
the risk of unduly repeating myself - ballooning out 4Mb to be able to
allocate 1Mb in 4-page chunks was empirically sufficient (though there
never was a guarantee). Increasing the to-be-allocated and to-be-
ballooned-out amounts by the same factor does not yield the same
confidence that allocation will actually succeed. Hence my goal to
reduce the initial allocation (to be satisfied from the pre-ballooning)
as much as possible. Unfortunately there was no reply from Tim on
that matter so far.

Jan