Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Continuing problems booting

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

Yes, a recent update allows my qemu test environment to see its disk. It crashes later, but in what looks to be a non-xen related way. However booting the kernel non-xen crashes much faster with the traceback

RAMDISK: gzip decompressor not configured!
It looks like you need to configure gzip compression for your initrd. Also, make sure you don't use any of the other compression algorithms for the kernel itself, or Xen won't be able to parse them.

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)
IP: [<(null)>] (null)

This looks like a bug. HPA, will it fall down a NULL function pointer if you leave compression out?

It now boots (xen and non-xen) if I build with CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y (and work around the problems of my current livecd generating situation). I get the impression that the boot is expected to fail if this or an equivalent CONFIG_RD_BZIP2 or CONFIG_RD_LZMA setting, but it should do so more gracefully so I agree this is a bug.

        Michael Young