Re: [Xen-devel] GPLPV + Xen Unstable BSOD

  • To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:17:35 +0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 03:18:00 -0800

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 25/02/2009 02:48, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> > My Xen Signature is 'XenVMMXenVMM', and my Hypercall area is page
>> > aligned. Any suggestion as to why you might be getting 'Microsoft
> Hv'? I
>> > suspect that maybe Xen unstable is trying to make itself look like a
>> > Microsoft HyperV system so that Windows behaves a bit better, but
>> > obviously that has introduced other problems. Can you turn that off?
> You
>> > might ultimately need it turned on but if you turn it off and it
> works I
>> > will be a bit more certain about the problem.
>>
>> Probably 'viridian=1' is in the domain config file. So that can simply
> be
>> removed to revert to old CPUID behaviour. Or even explicitly put
>> 'viridian=0' in the config file.
>
> Andrew: Can you please try with that option?

Exactly right, I had viridian=1 in the config file, thats the reason I
wanted to use unstable, becuase it has viridian support which will set
the "relaxed timer" cpuid bit to prevent bsod with code 101 which I
get on 3.3.x, I have removed the setting and tried the install again,
it did not crash and the drivers were all detected normally, I've not
tried booting up with the drivers loaded yet as my xp vm has decided
to install a load of updates as it shuts down, as soon as its finished
I will try booting up with the drivers loaded.

Anwyay, viridian seems to be the problem, can it be easily fixed?

Andy