Re: [Xen-devel] GPLPV + Xen Unstable BSOD

On 25/02/2009 02:48, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Xen Signature is 'XenVMMXenVMM', and my Hypercall area is page
> aligned. Any suggestion as to why you might be getting 'Microsoft Hv'? I
> suspect that maybe Xen unstable is trying to make itself look like a
> Microsoft HyperV system so that Windows behaves a bit better, but
> obviously that has introduced other problems. Can you turn that off? You
> might ultimately need it turned on but if you turn it off and it works I
> will be a bit more certain about the problem.

Probably 'viridian=1' is in the domain config file. So that can simply be
removed to revert to old CPUID behaviour. Or even explicitly put
'viridian=0' in the config file.

> For a start I probably need to validate the Signature and EAX (version?)
> values returned and fail to install instead of crashing...

You should be searching for Xen's own CPUID signature by searching the leaf
range 0x40000000-0x40001000 with a stride size of 0x100. See
tools/firmware/hvmloader/hvmloader.c:init_hypercalls().

 -- Keir