Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Continuing problems booting

M A Young wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

Hm, yes, I guess there's something to stop stack-protector from adding stuff to xen_start_kernel().

But I'm more interested in the crash you see when you have stack protector off. What are the symptoms?

That seems to have been pci related problems due to not setting pci=nomsi.

Ah, yes. I should probably find a way to code that rather than relying on the user to put it on the command line.

Beyond that I still get ata timeouts, and IRQ problems.

That's a pity; I was hoping those problems would be behind us... Do you have any log messages relating to them?

The end of one traceback (I couldn't see the whole thing) looked similar to the one I mentioned for i686 at
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-02/msg00832.html
and another started with print_irq_inversion_bug

The USB lockdep error isn't terribly worrying if the machine doesn't actually lock up. I'm still working on a good way to fix that one.

The NULL pointer dereferences are much more of a worry, and a bit random. Looks like the stack pointer has got trashed or something, so its not giving any useful information. Do you know what was going on before then?