Re: [Xen-users] Re: VT-D RMRR is incorrect

  • To: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Yoshiharu Mori <ymori4480@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:58:30 +0900
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:59:19 -0800

Hi Christian

Yoshiharu, have you tested Xen-unstable yet? When commenting out the EFAULT you mentioned I get an immediate panic related to the rmrr address conflict on the latest 3.4-unstable tree.

I also tried Xen-unstable, but could not boot xen when I commented out the EFAULT.
(The boot message was too fast and my machine was rebooted soon, I counldn't understand details.)

BTW, I got new BIOS from SUPERMICRO. But I cannot test till next week end.
Another trouble was happend on my board, I sent it to distributor and change it.

@Xen devs: Is this something that could be worked around in Xen or do we really have to rely on exact RMRR values for vtd to work?
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/43937 for more details.

The RMRR regions are expencted to be used only for USB and UMA Graphics legacy usages for reserved memory, I think it may be possible to use vtd with limitation.

Thanks,
Yoshiharu Mori