Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed

  • To: "Jeremy Fitzhardinge" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:47:26 -0500
  • Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Aviv Grafi <aviv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:47:50 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Todd Deshane wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, for a start, disable MSI for now (pci=nomsi on the kernel command
>>> line).  I haven't done any MSI support yet.
>>>
>>> In the nosmp boot, something seems amiss with interrupt routing.  nomsi
>>> may
>>> help there as well, but I'll need to have a closer look at the code to
>>> work
>>> out what's really going wrong here.  Hm, its probably:
>>> [    0.000000] ACPI: Skipping IOAPIC probe due to 'noapic' option.
>>>
>>> I guess nosmp implies noapic?  Anyway, we don't do well without ioapics
>>> at
>>> present...

>> The pci=nomsi helped a lot.
>>
>> I have booting (at least almost)
>>
>> Again two logs attached. This time the without nosmp does better.
>>
>> Gets to a checking battery state line then it seems to stop.
>>

> What normally happens next?  Looks like its pretty close to the end of the
> boot sequence; is that where it would normally print the login prompt?  Is
> the machine on the network at that point?  Can you log in remotely?

Correct it is fully booted. This is the same thing shown on a normal
linux boot. I have attached both logs for reference. The linux one
is not exactly the same kernel, but it is close (both are rc7)
The vanilla linux one doesn't have any xen dom0 patches.

On the normal linux one, even when putting the console on
the serial port, gdm loads up on the monitor, but this
doesn't happen for the dom0 kernel.

However I can SSH into the dom0 kernel fine.

/proc/xen/capabilities is missing, so xend does not start.

Any ideas on how to get xend working. Just let me know
what logs you need etc.

> Thanks for testing this.  Your logs have lots of valuable stuff in them.

Glad that I can help.

>BTW, does your hardware support AHCI mode for the SATA controller?  Could you
>try it out?

I will check this. I also want to change my Xen testing temporarily to the
Dell 755 (VT-d), which also has a VGA monitor (not DVI) so that may
make testing easier (assuming that the dom0 kernel can work on
my 755 box).

I'll report back more progress as I can

Cheers,
Todd