Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Reuse QEMU image for HVM?

Jun Koi wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jun Koi wrote:
>>
>>> I have the same problem with Linux image. And the same image works well in
>>> QEMU.
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "version string changed"?
>>>
>> I have just done few tests myself: I think it is just a matter of
>> correctly specifing the image format in the configuration file.
>> Please try:
>>
>> disk = ['tap:qcow2:/home/xen/img/img.xp3,ioemu:hda,w']
>>

> Excellent! I can confirm that works for me.
>
> The only problem is that QEMU provide different hardware from Xen, so
> when I start the QEMU image on Xen, Windows complains and asks me to
> "Reactivate Windows". Anyway to avoid that??

There are not many differences in the device emulation between qemu
mainstream and xen now.
I think Windows would complain even if you try with a brand new qemu
compiled from svn, because your image is probably too old (created with
a too old qemu).

If you want to be sure which device caused it you can try booting linux
on your qemu and on xen and do an lspci -vvv on both.