Re: FW: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:27:36PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:46:42AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > > This option works (worked) by passing the caller's display and
> > > xauthority through xm and xend to qemu.  qemu then connects to it
> > > later.  This is a very remarkable way of going about things.  Its
> > > security properties are problematic from several points of view.
> > >
> > > I had assumed that because it was so strange no-one would be using it,
> > > so I deliberately dropped that change.  Evidently I was wrong.  If
> > > this is a feature that is seriously used then I could reinstate it but
> > > I think it should come with a health warning.
>
> What might be useful is allowing "wait" mode for VNC like you can with
> telnet serial console. I'm suspecting that's the only reason you would
> ever want -vncviewer (to catch the BIOS screen).

If we launched it from 'xm', I'd xm would have to wait on xenstore for
the VNC port number to be written, at which point it can immediately
launch vncviewer. We do this in virt-install and its quick  enough to
catch the BIOS screen.

> > I think it should be killed - its easy todo it in the 'xm' client code,
> > after all xm already knows how to spawn 'xm console' for text mode
> > display - this is just same use case in graphical mode.
>
> Heck, then can we kill SDL, which does exactly the same thing, but in
> xend?

It'd get my vote - a consistent source of pain & bug reports, but quite
a few people seem to like this so I doubt its viable  to kill SDL :-(

Daniel